Position: As an Octo-team member, you will be responsible for communicating with customers, handling book requests, orders, and sales, receiving and organizing book deliveries, shipping orders to customers, and supporting anti-oppression activism in our community through literature.
Hours: 35 - 40 hours per week. (This is a full time position, we will not be able to accommodate people who have other regular commitments such as school or another job.)
Term: Position will start on August 17 and end November 15, 2020.
We are looking for:
- Please read our statement of values; if any of this does not immediately resonate with you, this is not the job for you.
- We strive to reflect our community and encourage you to apply if you are Black, Indigenous or a Person of Colour. Your perspective at the store is valuable.
- Ideally, we are looking for someone who is passionate about books, activism and social justice.
- You must be reliable and have good communication skills. You must be comfortable speaking on the phone and corresponding professionally with customers through email and in person.
- We are looking for someone who sees the need and meets the need. We will offer direction, but seek someone who is comfortable working independently and alone.
- You must be comfortable learning a new computerized point of sale system, or already be familiar with Bookmanager.
- As there is a fair amount of lifting required in a normal day, you should be comfortable lifting a 30 pound box.
- During the pandemic, we are cautious about our safety and the safety of our customers. We are hopeful that if you are applying to work at the store, which is a very small space physically, that you will practice safe physical distancing in your off time in accordance with Public Health Ontario and continue to do so during your time with us.
While we are interested in your prior work experiences, we recognise that lived experience is equally as valuable as work experience, so please feel free to send us a note which describes your interest in the store and don't worry so much about a fancy resume.
Please send all expressions of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 7. We will go through applications and contact people by August 10 and arrange meetings for August 10 - 13.